Friday, January 15, 2010

365 Movies: The Spiral Staircase Review


The Spiral Staircase stars Dorothy McGuire, George Brent, and Ethel Barrymore in this 1945 thriller. The film is about a young mute woman who is a maid at an elderly woman's home and is in the line of danger, but doesn't know who the killer is. The killer is someone who kills young, innocent women who have imperfections, that they can't change. Each and every time, I see this movie it gives me chills. It is one of the most frightening films that I've ever seen and each time, I see it, I'm always surprised by how scared I get. Watching this movie, I could definitely have seen Hitchcock directing the film because it just has the feel of a Hitchcock movie. I don't want to take any credit away but Robert Siodmak's direction in this film was pure perfection. He was an absolute genius, with how he directed this masterpiece. Every single actor from Dorothy McGuire to Rhys Williams were excellent. Such an amazingly fantastic thriller that everyone needs to see repeatedly!!




Review for Tomorrow: The Charge of the Light Brigade

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I adore this movie!! I think, even though I know how it ends, I'm still on the edge of my seat whenever I watch it!! :-D

Sarah said...

This is such a good thriller. I agree it was well done- especially the ending. I have seen very few classic thrillers that had me on the edge.