Sunday, May 1, 2011

Weekly Review: I Dream of Jeannie Season 1 (1965)



For those of you, who have never watched "I Dream of Jeannie", let me explain to you what it's about. Astronaut, Tony Nelson(Larry Hagman) is stranded on a deserted island, when he finds a bottle. Rubbing it to see what it is, Tony has discovered he's unleashed a genie(Barbara Eden). When she escapes from her bottle, Jeannie feels obligated to help Tony out, so she gets him a helicopter in order for him to return home. The only problem is, Jeannie falls very quickly for her new master and she can't ever leave him alone.


After fully watching the entire first season of "I Dream of Jeannie", I can officially say this is by far the funniest show I've ever seen. There isn't one thing, I would change about this show. It's clever, funny, quirky, romantic, and utterly charming. Jeannie and Tony's flirtation is so cute and fun to watch, and seriously watching that, I kept wishing they would just marry in the first episode. They were so electrifying together!!!!


I also love and adore, Colonel Peterson(Barton Maclane)Dr. Alfred Bellows(Hayden Rorke), and Major Roger Healey(Bill Dailey). Speaking of Roger Healey, he has got to be the funniest sidekick ever!!!




Rating- A+

6 comments:

becca said...

I agree whole-heartedly with every single word you said - except the wishing they'd marry in the first episode part, I'm good with waiting. : ) The only thing I can think to add is that the show just gets better and better with each season and each viewing. My favorite TV show. Ever.

Artman2112 said...

i loved that show ever since i was a young boy and still do. everything you said was spot on and yes Bill Dailey is just hilarious as Roger, i loved him on newhart too, he is a comic genius imo. ditto for Larry hagman. the whole show was perfectly cast and such great silly fun. when i see the sorry excuses for entertainment on TV today my apperciation of shows like Jeannie just continues to grow. nice post :D

Terence Towles Canote said...

I had a huge crush on Barbara Eden as a kid (well, actually, I still do) and I still love I Dream of Jeannie. One of our local stations shows it every Sunday at noon and I never miss it.

crowleyancanto said...

I wonder if this and Bewitched ran simultaneously, or if one preceded the other...?

Anonymous said...

My mum used to watch it Spanish and then she introduced me to it and I fell in love. Can't find it on TV Land anymore so I'll be renting the entire series from Netflix!!

Victoria Talia said...

OMG, I can't even tell you how much I have loved this show since I was little. I still watch it religiously on dvd. I am so glad to hear of someone else my age who loves it too.

My dog is actually named Djinn Djinn after the one and only! :)