Tuesday, March 31, 2009

An Underrated Beauty

We would all agree that Audrey Hepburn was a classic beauty or that Barbara Stanwyck was a fiery vixen, so why not show some attention to an underrated beauty. Now I'm not talking about Jane Wyman or Norma Shearer(who I believe to be both beautiful ladies) but the lovely Marsha Hunt. Marsha's beauty was often that of the girl next door type but her alluring presence, was always a treat to watch.

























A Small Bio About Marsha Hunt-



Marsha Hunt was born Marcia Virginia Hunt in Chicago, Illinois




She and her family didn't live in Chicago for long and they soon moved to Brooklyn, and then to Manhattan



Her film career began in 1935




Marsha was in 109 films and television appearances



She was married twice, first to Jerry Hopper(a cousin of Glenda Farrell) from 1938-1945 and then to Robert Presnell Jr from 1946 to 1986(from his death)

Marsha and Leif Eriksson

Her daughter died when she was just a day old

Was a John Powers' Model before becoming an actress


Attended the Theodora Irvine Studio for the Theater where she dated fellow actor Cornel Wilde and knew Jeffrey Lynn who she deemed as "handsome beyond belief" and nicknamed him Lindy

Called Franchot Tone by his nickanme in college - Scoot

Favorite actresses were Margaret Sullavan and Bette Davis

Fan magazines dubbed her as "the youngest character actress"

Victim of the blacklist of the late 1940's and 1950's



Some of her films are-


Kid Glove Killer
Cheers for Miss Bishop
Pride and Prejudice
The Human Comedy
Pilot #5
The Affairs of Martha
Cry Havoc!

I thought it would be cool to do a post on The Underrated Beauties of Classic Hollywood, so she was my first choice. I may eventually do a post on The Underrated Men of Classic Hollywood but I haven't decided on it yet.


This is blog post isn't going to be replacing "The Underdog Series" but I may just come out with one every so often. Tomorrow I'll put up the Melvyn Douglas post for "The Underdog Series". Good Night!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Marsha Hunt-- The Affairs of Martha is actually one of my all-time favorite films. I sent her a letter a few months ago but I never heard back :(

That is so sad about her son... btw she had great taste in men-- Cornel Wilde? :)

Terry said...

I love the underdog theme.
And an underated beauty is by all means an awesome atricle.
Thank you so much for sharing.
Love what you have on your blog.
Have a wonderful week.

Artman2112 said...

i know this is an old post but it's on my b-day and i really like Marsha Hunt so yay for me! she was great in Smash-Up with Susan Hayward, still one of the best cat fights in cinema history i think! i remember seeing her on a documentary about the blacklist talking about how when that started and she couldnt get work it was just when she felt like her talents as an actress were coming into their own. what a shame.