Thursday, January 7, 2010

365 Movies: Sex and the Single Girl Review



Sex and the Single Girl stars Natalie Wood, Tony Curtis, Lauren Bacall, Henry Fonda, Mel Ferrer, Edward Everett Horton, and Otto Kruger in this 1964 comedy. The comedy is about a man named Bob Weston(played by Curtis), who has to write an article on Dr.Helen Gurley Brown(played by Wood) for her new book. He wants to write the article for his filthy little magazine but doesn't want Helen to know who he is, so he pretends to be his friend Frank Broderick(played by Fonda). By pretending to be Frank, he ends up ruining his friend's marriage and causes a lot of unnecessary craziness throughout the film. I was really really hoping that this movie would be better but for me personally, I didn't like it. I didn't think that Natalie and Tony made a good couple together, but was more intrigued by Natalie and Mel as a couple. I also wasn't a fan of Lauren Bacall's nagging wife character Sylvia but loved Henry's character Frank, who is just the innocent man in the middle of the mess. My favorite character in the film was probably Mel's character Rudy DeMeyer, who was the funniest thing and I loved his dancing! I also liked the references of everyone saying that Tony looked like Jack Lemmon. I thought that was cute. Fran Jeffries was utterly adorable!



Review for Tomorrow: Speedway

5 comments:

Terence Towles Canote said...

Sex & the Single Girl is in my mind an example of how not to make a Sixties sex comedy.Mismatched couple, not a particularly good plot. I think it was made just to capitalise on Gurley Brown's book, with which it really hasn't much in common!

Sally said...

I thought this movie was so wacky. I love Fran Jeffries in this and I think she may have been my favorite part of the film. I really wish she had done more...anything. She's so pretty and sexy and adorable. I agree that the movie left a lot to be desired but I found it pretty enjoyable just the same.

Lolita of the Classics said...

Hmm, there's a lot of good names in the cast... but still, it doesn't always promise a good film!

Tom said...

My favorite part is the wacky car chase sequence at the end. The cop is so funny.

Sarah Mann said...

I like this movie a lot, but I can see where it can get to be too much. I think the car chase at the end is spread out 10 minutes too many - but the cast is insanely star studded!