Saturday, January 23, 2010

365 Movies: What's Up Doc? Review


What's Up Doc? stars Barbra Streisand, Ryan O' Neal, and Madeline Kahn in this delightfully sweet 1972 film. The film is a remake of the classic 1938 film "Bringing Up Baby", that starred Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant and was directed by George Cukor. The storyline was about opposites attracting- one being an uptight and business oriented type- Dr. Howard Bannister(O'Neal) and the other being quite a loose cannon and is a free spirit- Judy Maxwell(Streisand). The two get mixed up in each other's lives and the adorableness doesn't end there. Howard and Judy get themselves entangled into quite a funky mess with their matching cases and it causes a rift between Howard and his fiancee Eunice Burns(Kahn). When my Mom said she loved this movie, I didn't know if I would like it. I mean I like Streisand but to be honest, I haven't seen all that much of hers. I had the same problem with O'Neal as well. I was kind of unfamiliar with them but I thought I would give the film a try, even if it was a remake. Well, guess what? I loved the movie, it was absolutely wonderful and Streisand and O'Neal were magic in this movie. I really thought Kahn was annoying but that's how the character is supposed to be. She was amazing! I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone, it was hilarious.... it was cute... it was charming! It was everything you want in a movie. Sure I try to steer away from movies from 1970's but this is a movie to be watched... over and over again. So enjoyable!



Review for Tomorrow: I Love You Again

1 comment:

Sally said...

I had no idea that this movie was a remake. That's so cool! I'm adding to my queue right now. I can't wait!