Monday, April 26, 2010

365 Movies: Pygmalion Review


Pygmalion stars Leslie Howard, Wendy Hiller, and Scott Sunderland in this 1938 film. The film is about Professor Henry Higgins(Howard) who believes he can transform the common flower girl into a beautiful and sophisticated lady. He picks upon Eliza Doolittle(Hiller), a poor flower girl, who at first is quite stubborn about changing, but grows accustomed to her new self. I much more liked this version, rather than the 1964 version with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn. The '64 version was way too long and too much was put into it, unlike this version. It's a fairly quick film, but not at all, too fast paced to understand what is going on. Leslie and Wendy make an unbelievably marvelous couple and the chemistry between the two is smashing! The more, I see of Leslie, the more I like him. For the longest time, I haven't been too big on him but I think, as I get older, I appreciate him more as an actor.




Review for Tomorrow: A Ticklish Affair

3 comments:

Clara Fercovic said...

I've been avoiding this movie for months and months...I'll have to watch it now :)

becca said...

I liked this version better too. I never could understand how or why Prof. Higgins and Eliza fell in love in the 60's version, but Leslie Howard and Wendy Hiller made it much more believable.

Sally said...

I really need to rewatch this one. I really like Leslie Howard and would like to see more of his work, this one especially. Have you ever seen The Scarlet Pimpernel? Howard is fantastic in that one. Will definitely add this one to my to-see list!