Wednesday, September 30, 2009

One last post with Jeffrey Lynn


Last night, I watched what I've been anticipating for a while to see, "Daughters Courageous". The film was made in 1939 and starred 10 of the original cast of "Four Daughters". Fay Bainter and Donald Crisp were new to the already established cast.





My reason for being so anxious into seeing this, was because it had the original cast of "Four Daughters" and that of course, Jeffrey Lynn would be in it. With his name being in the third billing, I had the thought that his role would be fairly large but unfortunately I was wrong. His role is very small and you almost forget completely that he's even in the movie. With a small role, Jeffrey's character isn't exactly nice either. Jeffrey portrays John S. 'Johnny' Heming, the girls friend and is secretly in love with Priscilla Lane's Buff Masters. While John Garfield's Gabriel Lopez is sarcastic and cool, Johnny is obnoxious and somewhat corny(I hate saying that!). I really couldn't understand, why Jeffrey had such a small and unimportant role in a film, that he is billed third in.

In a John Garfield biography(He ran all the way written by: Robert Nott), Jeffrey Lynn is quoted as saying "I never felt like I fit in. I always felt like I was outside the door listening in. And I don't think the other characters fit in either." I completely agree with what he said, it's hard to remember he's in the movie. The movie was just to boost John Garfield's career and to make some money out of it.


With my disappointment over how small Jeffrey's role, my hopes of the movie being good were shot down too. The film seems to be drab and rather boring at times. When you see a cast like that, you expect something great to happen on the screen, but with this movie, no one really delivers. They all acted well, but the storyline and the chemistry between Gabriel(John Garfield) and Buff(Priscilla Lane) are nonexistent.


As a fan of the "Four Daughers" cast, I personally would skip this but if you want to watch it because your fan of someone in the movie, go on and watch it, just don't expect it to be anywhere near as good as "Four Daughters".

Have you ever had the same thing happen to you? Where you are expecting an actor or actress, to have an important role and then to find out, it's nothing special.


Thanks for joining me on my celebration of Jeffrey Lynn for the month of September. I had a lot of fun, writing about my favorite actor and I hope you liked it too. As for my other posts, I will be posting the Q+A tomorrow(I know I've said this before, but really I will!) and I will be starting something new up for my blog. So stay tuned! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a shame the movie was such a disappointment, since you were looking forward to it so much!

I really enjoyed Jeffrey Lynn month, I'm sorry to see it end ..but I guess it's always Jeffrey Lynn month at Classic Hollywood Nerd, right? :D

Nicole Newcomb said...

Haha Of course ;)

Millie said...

Aww, sad!

Bye-bye Mr. Lynn! We'll miss you!