Thursday, February 18, 2010

365 Movies: Fifth Avenue Girl Review


Fifth Avenue Girl stars Ginger Rogers, Walter Connolly, Tim Holt, and Verree Teasdale in this 1939 film. The film is about lonely and rich, Mr. Timothy Borden(Connolly), who is upset that his family basically ignores him on his birthday. While out and about, thinking of his troubles, he meets Mary Grey(Rogers), a girl who thinks very low of the rich. The two bond over their mutual dislike for how rich people and the two come up with a plan for his family to pay more attention to him. They devise a plan for Mary to pretend to be Tim's mistress, in order for his family to realize how much Tim means to them. Almost immediately, the family has a distaste for Mary except for the daughter of the family, Katherine, who thinks it's about time her father had some fun. It's a little known film but tons of fun to watch. I loved the friendship between Mr.Borden and Mary. At first, Mrs.Borden(Teasdale) can be a little over the top but in the end, you know she loves her husband. I know that the coupling between Rogers and Holt is lesser known but they were simply magical together. I loved the bickering scenes together and how in the end, they know they love each other. It's a sweet little film, that doesn't require an elaborate story line. It's simple and to the point, which is a nice change.




Review for Tomorrow: Cabin in the Sky

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite Ginger Rogers films :) And isn't Walter Connolly just so sweet in this??

Sally said...

I've yet to see this one but now I really want to. I was reading a bit about it the other day and your review has completely sold it for me. Now, to go in search for it. Great post!

Maggie said...

I really didn't like this one, for some reason. I guess I feel like it's too much in between Comedy and Drama for my tastes. I like them one or the other.

Artman2112 said...

i never saw this one, but that's a great cast for sure. i am so far behind in Ginger's films, one of these days i'm just gonna do a marathon and get alllll caught up!

Sarah said...

This was a cute little film and Walter Connolly just broke my heart in it. I like it when he plays a more sympathetic role though.

VKMfanHuey said...

Nice review, VFN!
This one is a neat one... Ginger is pretty 'sassy' in this one, but not overbearingly so. The support cast is great, too... DeCava movies always cram a bunch of dialouge in (see Stage Door), and there are scenes like that in this one, particularly when the mom and the two kids are jabbering back and forth...but after a few listens, there are some pretty funny lines in all that, just like Stage Door. Of course, Ginger is smashing, as usual..someone talked about this a bit back (think it was Beth), but her eyebrows are 'natural' in this one...pretty cool, IMHO...

BTW - for anyone out there needing this one, it is one of the Warner Archive Series...