Friday, May 14, 2010

365 Movies: Libeled Lady Review


Libeled Lady stars William Powell, Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow, and Spencer Tracy in this 1936 film. On the day of his wedding, newspaper reporter Haggerty(Tracy) gets sidetracked yet again by his job, which doesn't please his bride-to-be, Gladys(Harlow). Ignoring his fiancee's request to quit his job, Haggerty focuses more on his job and more on an impending lawsuit, that is going on against his newspaper. Haggerty recruits Bill Chandler(Powell) to help with the case, and to possibly seduce the woman behind the case. Haggerty believes that Bill can charm Connie Allenbury(Loy) into dropping the case and to save his newspaper from going down under. It's a delightfully fun film, with an excellent cast. Loy and Powell are superb in this, as well as in every film, they ever made together. Jean is perfectly snazzy and sweet, and Tracy is the cynical tough guy, but deep inside he's lovable. I remember, awhile back, when I watched this movie, and I didn't like it. I don't know what I was thinking, when I previously watched this, but I love this movie now. Like I've said before, I really think movies, need to be watched more than once. Sometimes, you end up liking it more, the second time around.




Review for Tomorrow: Chatterbox

2 comments:

Mary said...

I love this movie! It's so funny and stars 4 of my favorite actors. I agree with you, sometimes a second viewing of a film makes you appreciate it more.

Sally said...

I love this movie! Always a good choice! I really like the relationship between Powell and Loy in this one. They're such awesome characters. I love her throughout the film, really. She's so cool. I think I need to rewatch this one some time soon...